Recommendations from CIESJ
The links and materials below are meant to provide a range of thoughtful opinion and analysis pieces that supplement the basic factual reporting that people follow in their regular media intake:
November 29, 2023
- David Ignatius, An inside look at what’s ahead in Israel’s shattering war in Gaza November 18, 2023
- Jonathan Freedland, Too many taking sides in this conflict miss the true nature of Hamas – and Netanyahu Fri 17 Nov 2023
- Susie Linfield “The Return of the Progressive Atrocity: It is the responsibility of Western activists to know who and what they support, and to separate themselves—openly and decisively—from programs and regimes that are predicated on violence and repression.”
- Bernie Sanders: Justice for Palestinians and Security for Israel
- Ayman Odeh: Many Israelis and Palestinians Have ‘Sobered Up’. I Refuse to Do the Same
Feminism & Gender-Based Violence
- Natalia Mehlman Petrzela: How feminists have failed Israeli victims of sexual violence: The skepticism that met Israeli women’s claims perpetuates traditions of dehumanizing Jews.
- KATHA POLLITT: Actually, Not Everything Is a Feminist Issue: And that’s okay.
- Guy Shalev, Executive Director, Physicians for Human Rights Israel (PHRI): Gender-based violence as a weapon of war
- Jennifer Rubin: Israeli Women Count, Too
November 20, 2023
- The Foundation for Middle East Peace (FMEP) Repression in the Shadow of Israel’s War on Gaza Part 1: Five Israeli Human Rights Groups Sound the Alarm,” featuring Yahav Erez (Yesh Din), Anat Litvin (Physicians for Human Rights – Israel), Jessica Montell (HaMoked: Center for the Defense of the Individual), Tamara Newman (Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI)) and Tal Steiner (Public Committee Against Torture in Israel (PCATI)) in conversation with Lara Friedman (FMEP).
- There is also a part two (on be Tuesday, November 21st in this series, Israel’s Rapid Repression & Criminalization of Palestinian Life in the Wake of October 7th, featuring Hassan Jabarin of Adalah and Ghousoon Bisharat of +972 Magazine in conversation with FMEP Fellow Peter Beinart.
- Thomas Friedman: It’s Time for a Biden Peace Plan, The New York Times
- Yonatan Mendel: If Israel Aspires to Life, It Must Change Its Approach to the Palestinians, Haaretz
- Article on Standing Together’s tour of US: Israeli and Palestinian Activists Ask Americans to Take Side of Peace
- Hadar Susskind, In Israel and Gaza, I choose the side of humanity
- Arash Azizi: The One-State Delusion: Ignoring the national aspirations of Palestinians and Israelis won’t solve their conflict
J Street Updates
To stay updated on J Street’s activities and statements on the ongoing Israel-Hamas war, please be sure to visit the J Street response page.
November 14, 2023
Opinion & Reporting
- Yuval Noah Harari: Israelis Need More Than a Vague Demand to ‘Destroy Hamas’ – Israel News – Haaretz.com
- Carly Pildis: Leftists who want a cease-fire: Demand Hamas surrender, instead (forward.com)
- Mohammed Darawshe: Arab Citizens of Israel Face a Cruel Quandary: Our State Is Fighting Our Own People – Israel News – Haaretz.com
- Michael Sfard: Opinion | Israel Is Silencing Internal Critics – The New York Times (nytimes.com)
- Michael Cohen: Peace is possible in Israel. But not until Hamas is defeated.
Longer Form Videos & Transcripts
- Ran Harnevo, Israeli Tech leader’s critique of some anti-Israel narratives
- Ezra Klein Interviews Yossi Klein Halevi
- The Israeli-Hamas War: A Conversation with Khalil Shikaki: Aaron David Miller with pollster and analyst Khalil Shikaki, director of the Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research
- Assessment of military and diplomatic situations. “Hard Questions: Tough Answers”: Yossi Alpher is an independent security analyst. He is the former director of the Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies at Tel Aviv University, a former senior official with the Mossad, and a former IDF intelligence officer.