- This event has passed.
Prepare for the Transition (and Reentry) to College During COVID-19: Webinar for Parents of Young Adults with Dr. Andrea Brenner
June 16 @ 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Helping our Temple Sinai Teens Prepare for the Transition (and Reentry) to College During COVID-19: a Webinar for Parents of Young Adults with Dr. Andrea Brenner
How can high school parents support their almost-college students while they are stuck at home? How can college parents teach resilience when their students were sent home from campus? In this webinar, Dr. Andrea Brenner, long-time Temple Sinai member and mom to one current college student and one college graduate will discuss:
- turning challenges related to COVID-19 into needed college-level skills: how to determine your teen’s specific needs for growth
- easy online activities for students and parents to feel connected with campuses, even when they are shuttered
- goals for college mental health: understanding the differences between normative stress and distress
- teaching your teens to take control of daily tasks, health, and wellness needed for college independence
- prompts for important college-level conversations between teens and their parents, with an emphasis on the challenges of COVID-19
Andrea Malkin Brenner, PhD is a sociologist and independent consultant who works with public and private high school students and their parents on challenges related to college transitions, with a focus on students with mental health challenges and learning differences. She also works with high school and college faculty and administration to design first-year experience programs. Andrea is the creator of the nationally-recognized American University Experience (AUx), the mandatory full year first-year transition course at American University. Previous to that, Dr. Brenner served as a faculty member in the Department of Sociology at American University for 20 years, teaching classes on inequality, social problems, and the life course. She also directed AU’s University College program, the university’s oldest and largest living-learning community for first-year students. She is co-author of How to College: What to Know Before You Go (and When You’re There) (Macmillan, St. Martin’s Griffin, 2019) and is a fellow at the University of California National Center for Free Speech and Civic Engagement.
- June 16
7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Event Category:
- Sinai Online
- DC United States