A Zoom Conversation with Linda K. Harllee Harper, Director of Gun Violence Prevention in Washington, DC
May 20 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Please join the Temple Sinai Gun Violence Prevention Group as they meet with Linda K. Harllee Harper, the city’s new and first Director of Gun Violence Prevention. DC Mayor Muriel Bowser announced the new position on Feb. 17, 2021. The Mayor’s Office to Prevent Gun Violence, known as Building Blocks DC, serves as the foundation of government-wide efforts to collaborate and partner with Washingtonians in co-creating public safety. Initial efforts will be laser-focused on those communities most impacted by gun violence. Watch Mayor Muriel Bowser’s Situational Update on February 17, 2021.
Please join us as we welcome Linda Harllee Harper to discuss:
- The mission* and functioning of the new initiative she is directing.
- Her experience with gun violence prevention.
- How her plans will relate to current DC “violence interruption” programs.
- How her plans will relate to the DC Metropolitan Police and the focus of its new Chief, Robert Contee III, on addressing repeated, violent offenders as well as on recovering illegal guns in DC.
- How a faith-based group like the Temple Sinai GVP Group can help her achieve her mission.
Linda K. Harllee Harper is an experienced proven leader and change agent in juvenile justice, criminal justice, public safety, and social services with over fifteen years of progressively growing experience shaping and managing public safety responses, restorative justice policies and youth development programs to improve the lives of our undervalued, underserved, and at promise youth and their families. Linda has moved between the non profit and for profit sectors, and government either organizing for social change from the outside or reforming institutions, policies and practices from the inside. Read more.
Want to get involved? To learn more information about the TS GVP Group, and to discuss plans for the rest of 2021, please contact Steve Klitzman, GVP Group Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-312-6557.
* The Mission of Building Blocks DC is to transform the government’s approach to public safety and justice by engaging and partnering with the residents and communities most impacted by gun violence, coordinating and synergizing city and community-based efforts to peacekeeping and gun violence prevention, and streamlining resident access to services, supports, and opportunities.
- May 20
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Event Category:
- Social Action
- Sinai Online
- DC United States